What’s not to love about pasta primavera? Flavorful and filling, it’s the perfect recipe to have in your back pocket, particularly when it’s tempting to grab at least one of everything in sight on the produce aisle. You can customize with any array of Fair Trade Certified™ vegetables you have on hand and even add a protein like grilled chicken or scallops to create your own version of this light, fresh pasta.
- 1 (12-oz) package penne pasta
- 1 Wholesum Harvest™ Fair Trade Certified yellow squash, chopped
- 1 Wholesum Harvest zucchini, chopped
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ½ Wholesum Harvest Fair Trade Certified red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ pint Fair Trade Certified grape tomatoes
- 1 cup Wholesum Harvest Fair Trade Certified eggplant, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 5 spears Nature’s Partner Fair Trade Certified asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a bowl, toss squash, zucchini, carrot, red bell pepper, tomatoes, eggplant, and asparagus with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Arrange vegetables on the baking sheet, and roast 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until tender.
- Heat remaining olive oil and butter in a large skillet. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in cooked pasta, lemon zest,basil, parsley, and balsamic vinegar. Gently toss and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss with roasted vegetables and sprinkle with Romano cheese to serve.