Churro Apple Pies
Autumnal apples meet festival food favorite. This delectable treat features crisp Fair Trade Certified apples mixed with crave-worthy caramel and cinnamon sugar, all nestled in an edible bowl made of churro. A winning combination crafted in pastry heaven!
Discover retailers selling fair trade ingredients online or in-store using our Where to Find Fair Trade guide.
Recipe appears in: Fair Trade Holiday Recipes
For the churro bowls
- Cooking spray
- 2 (12 oz) packages puff pastry, thawed
- ½ cup cinnamon sugar
For the apple filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray an inverted muffin tin with cooking spray. Roll out puff pastry and using a 4" cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles.
- Place puff pastry on inverted muffin tin and press to form bowls. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool. Since puff pastry puffs, you may have to use an oven mitt and gently press bowls back onto muffin tin and reshape bowls.
- When cool enough to handle (but still slightly warm), remove bowls from muffin tin and toss in cinnamon sugar.
- Make the apple pie filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped apples, sugars, lemon juice, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Fill the churro bowls with apple pie filling and drizzle with caramel.