Fresh Fruit Christmas Tree
Curb your little one’s holiday sweet tooth this season with a festive and guilt-free centerpiece full of their favorite Fair Trade Certified fruits. The kids will enjoy building this entertaining masterpiece and you can rest easy knowing you’ve kept their added sugar intake to a minimum! This healthy treat is sure to dazzle on even the most decadent dessert table.
Shop for fresh fair trade produce (like the fair trade star of this recipe – pineapple!) at your local Whole Foods Market, and discover retailers selling fair trade ingredients online or in-store using our Where to Find Fair Trade guide.
Recipe appears in: Fair Trade Holiday Recipes
Photo: Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 fair trade pineapple
- 1 pear, slightly underripe
- 2 clementine, peeled and segmented
- 3 kiwi, ends trimmed then chopped into sixths with skin left on
- 8 oz Driscoll’s fair trade strawberries, stems removed
- 6 oz Driscoll’s fair trade blackberries
- 1½ cups fair trade red grapes
- 1½ cups fair trade green grapes
- 1 bamboo skewer
- Slice top and bottom off pineapple then cut a thin slice from the top. Press a star-shaped cookie cutter into the center of the thin slice then set star aside. Slice a little off the sides of the pineapple at an angle to create a cone shape. Push one bamboo skewer through the center, then skewer the pear on top, leaving the top of the skewer uncovered.
- Place pineapple onto a serving tray then insert toothpicks around pineapple and pear at a slight angle, breaking a little off if necessary, then add additional fruit. Begin adding the bigger fruit first then fill in the remaining space with the smaller fruit. Add the pineapple star to the top of the skewer then serve.
Note: You can make the Fresh Fruit Christmas Tree several hours ahead of time, but keep covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.