Berry Spring Salad with Fresh Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Berries are the star of this vibrant salad bowl from Laurie McNamara. The Simply Scratch blogger combines salad greens with three kinds of Fair Trade Certified™ berries, thick-cut bacon, and avocado, but the real MVP is the homemade raspberry vinaigrette. Serve as a side at your next picnic or barbecue, or add grilled chicken and enjoy as a main. We recommend doubling up on the dressing either way.
For the raspberry balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 6 oz container fresh Fair Trade Certified raspberries, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Fair Trade Certified freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup raspberry-infused balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Fair Trade Certified honey
- 6 Tbsp light olive oil
For the berry salad
- 5 oz mixed spring salad greens
- 4 strips cooked thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced
- 6-8 oz fresh Fair Trade Certified strawberries, raspberries and blackberries (more or less to preference)
- 1 4 oz goat cheese log, sliced or crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Optional: Laurie's sliced balsamic rosemary grilled chicken
- Place raspberries and sugar in a bowl and use a fork to mash together. Set aside.
- In a glass jar, add the garlic, salt, pepper, chili flakes, vinegar, honey and olive oil.
- Strain the berries into a mesh strainer over a clean bowl. Use a rubber spatula to press the fruit through the mesh and collect the juice in the bowl below. Discard the seeds and add the juice into the jar with the olive oil mixture. Secure the lid and shake well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Arrange the spring mix into shallow bowls or salad plates. Top with grilled chicken (if using), sliced avocado, berries, goat cheese, chopped bacon, and pistachios. Drizzle each helping with a few spoonfuls of fresh raspberry vinaigrette.