Butternut Squash Mac 'n' Cheese
Mac 'n' cheese—a time-tested favorite among even the most finicky eaters. This version stars Fair Trade Certified butternut squash for a creamier, healthier, and might we say even more delicious take on the beloved classic. A good sprinkle of Japanese style bread crumbs and a quick pop in the oven perfect this simple dish with a satisfying crunch!
Recipe appears in: Fair Trade Holiday Recipes
Photo: Super Healthy Kids
For the mac n’ cheese:
- 1 lb fair trade butternut squash
- ¼ medium onion
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz macaroni pasta, dry
- 2 oz cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅛ cup Panko (Japanese style bread crumbs)
For the side salad:
- 1 cup fair trade cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 6 Tbsp Light Italian dressing
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash, peel, and cut butternut squash. Chop onion.
- Toss the butternut squash and onions with olive oil and place onto a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly browned.
- While veggies are roasting, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Once veggies are done, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Add to a blender and puree
- Mix together the macaroni, butternut squash puree, most of the shredded cheddar cheese, and most of the Parmesan.
- Once fully mixed, place into an 8×8 oven-safe dish and top with remaining cheeses and Panko.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned.
- Make a salad with the spinach and halved cherry tomatoes, topped with dressing. Serve on the side.