Fair Trade Turtle Cake
Chocolate. Caramel. Cake. Need we say more?
The Fair Trade ingredients in this rich, sumptuous chocolate-caramel cake keep it from being too sinful. Based on Café Latte’s Famous Turtle Cake recipe, it’s a visually stunning crowd-pleaser that’s surprisingly easy to make. Bring it to your next holiday party and you’ll be the hit of the season.
For the cake
- 1 egg 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups Fair Trade Certified sugar
- 1/2 cup Fair Trade Certified cocoa
- 1 tsp. salt 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 cup hot, Fair Trade Certified coffee
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Fair Trade Certified sugar
- 6 TBSP butter
- 2 cups Fair Trade Certified semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup caramel
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans
To bake the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Cover the bottom of each pan with a disk of parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine egg, oil, and buttermilk.
- In a separate (large) bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry until everything is well mixed.
- Gradually add in the hot coffee.
- Scrape batter evenly into the three prepared pans and insert into oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Let cake rest in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool.
To make the frosting
- Mix sugar and milk in a saucepan.
- Add butter.
- Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Add chocolate chips to the pan and mix until smooth using a wire whisk. If the frosting is too thick or grainy, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of hot coffee.
- Place one cooled cake layer, top-side down, on your cake plate. Spread one third of your frosting on it, pushing out gently from the edges to make a petal effect.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup pecans and drizzle with ¼ cup caramel.
- Add next layer, again top-side down. Repeat frosting and sprinkle with ½ cup pecans and drizzle with ¼ cup caramel.
- Add final layer top-side up, frost with petal effect and finish with remaining pecans and caramel.
- Once you’re done, we suggest doing what Café Latte recommends: “Call your friends and enjoy!” And don’t forget to tell them you used Fair Trade Certified ingredients, either.