Savory, sweet, and easy to eat! These cheerful bites are guaranteed to light up your kitchen this holiday season. While kids love a Christmas cookie challenge, these mini toasts prove their creativity in the kitchen extends far beyond just sweets.
Interested to learn more about where fair trade veggies come from? Visit our partner Wholesum to learn more about their Fair Trade Certified tomatoes.
Discover retailers selling fair trade ingredients online or in-store using our Where to Find Fair Trade guide.
Recipe appears in: Fair Trade Holiday Recipes
Photo: Super Healthy Kids
- 1 baguette, sliced into 24 pieces
- 6 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup pesto
- 1 cup fair trade cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup raw cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup fair trade honey
- ¾ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- Lightly toast slices of baguette in the oven. Put the oven on broil and closely watch the slices. After about 2 minutes, flip the pieces over and let them broil again.
- Remove toast slices from oven and let cool. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each piece of bread.
- On half the slices, spread about a teaspoon of pesto over the cream cheese.
- Slice your cherry tomatoes in half and toss in olive oil. If desired, quickly heat them over medium heat in a sauce pan to lightly cook. Spoon tomatoes over your pesto layer. Finish with a sprinkle of pepper and/or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- On the remaining slices of bread with cream cheese, prepare your cranberry-pomegranate relish. Place your cranberries, orange juice and honey in a blender or food processor. Run the food processor a few times so everything is chopped, but not fully blended. Remove from food processor and stir in pomegranate arils.
- Spoon the relish over the cream cheese layer and top with orange zest.