Fair Trade Certified Green Beans with Brown Butter and Toasted Almonds
Crisp green beans and earthy almond slivers, smothered in gently browned butter. Move over, green bean casserole...
Step up your holiday veggie game with this fresh new dish by Stefan Moedritzer. Crisp green beans and toasted almonds are warmed to perfection and tossed in that golden elixir, brown butter, for a light yet savory side that comes together in just minutes. Serve at your next holiday gathering for a hit that will have guests saying, “Green bean casserole, who?”
- 1 lb Fair Trade Certified green beans (trimmed)
- 1 stick salted butter
- ½ cup raw sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp flaky sea salt
- ¼ cup roughly chopped Fair Trade Certified chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds evenly in a single layer across foiled baking sheet and toast in oven for 3-6 minutes. Remove when they start to turn golden (keep a close eye on them, they can burn quickly!) and transfer to a large plate immediately to stop cooking.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with two cups of ice water. Add green beans to boiling water and boil for 3 minutes. Using tongs, remove green beans from boiling water and immediately transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking.
- In a medium skillet, melt stick of butter over medium heat while stirring constantly. Continue stirring as butter separates and begins to foam (2-3 minutes). Continue stirring until butter starts to brown and has a nutty aroma (3-4 minutes). Once butter is fully browned, remove from heat, add in green beans and ¼ cup of the almonds and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with remaining almonds and chives, and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!