Grilled Turmeric Ginger Shrimp and Mango Avocado Slaw
Bid hello to summer with this vibrant and flavorful main. Food for my Family blogger Shaina Olmanson coats Fair Trade Certified™ shrimp in a ginger and turmeric glaze, grills it with mangoes and avocados, and serves it atop a cabbage slaw tossed with cilantro-lime dressing. Add a few fresh avocado slices on the side, and you'll have a complete meal that comes together in just over half an hour, no oven required. Oh, and did we mention that it contains a whopping five Fair Trade Certified ingredients? An easy, sustainable addition to your warm weather meal rotation.
For the shrimp
- 1 lb Fair Trade Certified shrimp
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, pressed with a garlic press
- 1 Tbsp Fair Trade Certified honey
- 1 tsp Fair Trade Certified ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Indian-style chili powder, or cayenne powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the slaw
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, lightly chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Fair Trade Certified honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Fair Trade Certified mangoes
- 2 Fair Trade Certified avocados
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- Preheat grill to high and thread shrimp on skewers. In a medium bowl, mix together remaining shrimp ingredients and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Combine in a food processor or blender all slaw ingredients except mangoes, avocados, grapeseed oil, cabbage, and shallots. Blend until cilantro is finely chopped and evenly distributed.
- Cut two sides off the mangoes away from the pit. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Brush the cut sides with grapeseed oil and grill for 2-3 minutes, until just charred. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Brush the grill grates with oil and place on shrimp skewers. Brush generously with glaze made from remaining shrimp ingredients. Grill for 2-3 minutes, until the gray color turns to pink. Turn skewers, and baste shrimp with more glaze. Grill for another 60-90 seconds. Remove skewers from grill.
- Dice grilled mangoes and avocados and scoop from their skins. Add to cabbage and shallots in a large bowl. Toss with 2/3 of the cilantro-lime dressing.
- Serve shrimp on top of the slaw with reserved dressing on the side for dipping.