Methi Matar Malai
This deliciously rich Indian dish is made with Fair Trade Certified green peas.
Methi (Fenugreek) is a popular winter vegetable in India. Combine it with Matar (green peas) and Malai (cream), and you have a deliciously rich vegetarian dish that’s perfect for special occasions. The fair trade star of this recipe, adapted from the recipe by Cook With Manalai, is the green peas. The other ingredients can be found at any Indian grocery store.
Interested to learn more about where the fair trade ingredients came from? Visit our partner Covilli, a Fair Trade Certified farm that grows green chilis.
Recipe appears in: Fair Trade Holiday Recipes
Photo: Cook With Manalai
- 3 tsp oil or ghee, divided
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili
- ½–inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 2–3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1½ Tbsp broken cashews
- 1 tsp poppy seeds khus khus
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups chopped methi fenugreek leaves
- Salt, to taste
- ¾ cup frozen fair trade green peas, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes before cooking
- ½ cup heavy cream
- garam masala to sprinkle
- cilantro to garnish, optional
Makes 2 servings
- Remove methi leaves from their stem, rinse thoroughly, and chop roughly. Set aside.
- Heat 1 ½ tsp of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add cumin seeds and wait till the seeds crackle. Add green chili, chopped ginger, garlic, and green cardamom. Sautee for a minute or two.
- Add the roughly chopped onion, broken cashews, and poppy seeds (khus khus). Sautee for 2–3 minutes, or till the onions are translucent and cashews softened.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool down a bit. Transfer the entire mixture into a blender. Blend to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of oil and once hot add the prepared paste. Sautee for few minutes till the raw smell goes away. Add milk and water and give a good mix. Once it comes to a little boil, add the chopped methi leaves and mix. Also add the salt.
- Add the boiled green peas and mix. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the cream and mix. Cover and let it simmer on medium-low flame for 4–5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some garam masala on top and switch off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot methi matar malai with naan, roti, or rice.