Fair Trade Mixed Berry Scones
Looking for a better way to start your day? These scones from 365 Days of Baking and More blogger Lynne Feifer just might be the answer. Simply fold Fair Trade Certified™ blueberries and strawberries into pastry dough, bake for 25 minutes and BAM: buttery scones with pops of berry brightness. Perfect for brunches, teatimes, and those mornings when your usual cereal-and-milk combo just isn't cutting it. Serve alongside fresh berries for an extra fruit boost.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Fair Trade Certified organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 oz cream cheese,
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup fresh Fair Trade Certified strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh Fair Trade Certified blueberries
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and cream cheese until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg, milk, diced strawberries and blueberries. Mix with a rubber spatula until the dough forms a soft ball.
- Prepare a clean, flat surface by dusting it with flour and turn the dough out onto it.
- Divide the dough in half and pat each into a circle approximate 5 inches in diameter. Cut the dough into 6 wedges. Keeping the wedges pressed together, transfer the entire disk of dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the scones are lightly golden and firm. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving.