Scallop and Tuna Smorrebrod
Once regarded as an inexpensive lunch option for the Danish working class, smorrebrod (pronounced “smuhr-broht”) has since become the darling of the culinary world, with chefs across the globe taking the traditional bread-and-spread combo down whimsical new avenues. This rendition by chef Brett Cary is no exception. Fair Trade Certified™ scallops and shrimp mingle with thinly-sliced vegetables atop the traditional rye-and-spread foundation. Follow the recipe to a tee, or adapt using what you have on hand - your taste buds will thank you either way.
Recipe appears in: 6 Recipes for Making the Seafood Switch
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup crème fraiche
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt, sugar and black pepper to taste
For the main plate
- 12 Fair Trade Certified Del Pacifico Wild Caught Sustainable Shrimp
- 12 Fair Trade Certified Bristol Seafood North Atlantic Sea Scallops
- 12 slices 1/4 inch thick Danish rye or whole grain bread
- 1 stick butter (to toast bread)
- 1 thinly sliced, seeded cucumber
- Sliced green onion for garnish
- Sliced radishes for garnish
- Parsley leaves for garnish
- Mix all dressing ingredients and let sit for one hour at room temperature. Remove scallops and shrimp from refrigeration 20 min. before cooking to take chill off.
- Bring 2 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Remove from heat, and allow to cool for one minute.
- Place scallops in the salty water for 8-10 minutes, then strain and chill immediately. Repeat with the shrimp. (Note: it's important to treat the scallops and shrimp separately to preserve the flavors.)
- While the shrimp chills, melt butter in a flat pan and toast each slice of bread to your desired level of crispiness. Allow each slice to cool on a plate at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Once the seafood has chilled and the bread has cooled, spread a layer of dressing on the toasted side of the bread and top with shrimp and scallops. Garnish with parsley, green onion and sliced radishes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.