Seared Fair Trade Scallops with Lemon Pesto
Hankering for a homemade meal but short on time and/or patience? Look no further. We've seared frozen Fair Trade Certified™ scallops and drizzled them with fresh pesto in this crazy-quick recipe. Plate with slices of your favorite hearty bread, and voila! Dinner in under 10 minutes. Don't feel like washing your blender? Use pre-made pesto instead. Simple. Satisfying. Sustainable.
- 2 cups fresh Fair Trade Certified basil leaves (no stems)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tsp
- 2 tsp lemon juice (from a Fair Trade Certified lemon) and 1 tsp lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 to 1¼ pounds Fair Trade Certified sea scallops (approximately 16), thawed, rinsed, and placed on a paper towel to dry
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- Arugula leaves (to garnish)
- Make the pesto. In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, garlic, ½ cup of olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper. Pulse to combine.
- If present, remove the muscle from the side of the scallops and season the scallops with salt and pepper. Add the butter and oil to a medium nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the scallops when the pan is hot. Sear the scallops for a minute and a half on each side. The scallops should have a golden crust on each side while still being translucent inside.
- Divide the scallops between four plates. Drizzle with pesto and olive oil. Serve with fresh greens and white beans.