Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Toasted Walnuts & Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Prepare to fall in love at first bite.
Brussels sprouts phobia: overturned. When prepared properly, brussels sprouts can be the star of a wide range of delectable dishes, especially in this salad recipe by Stefan Moedritzer. Shaved brussels sprouts and walnuts are tossed together and topped with apple slices and a tangy vinaigrette, for a hearty, balanced bite that's sure to please even the pickiest eaters. Serve as a side at your next dinner party, or top with your favorite protein for an easy grab-and-go lunch.
- ½ shallot, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Fair Trade Certified honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar or golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Fair Trade Certified pepper
- 1 lb Fair Trade Certified brussels sprouts (cleaned, stems removed)
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 tart Fair Trade Certified apples
For the toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread walnuts evenly in a single layer across foiled baking sheet and toast in oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove when they start to turn golden (keep a close eye on them, they can burn quickly!). Transfer to a large plate to cool immediately after removing them from the oven to stop cooking.
For the honey mustard dressing
- In a small bowl, combine shallots and ¼ cup vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine mustard, honey, olive oil, remaining vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix well. Whisk in the shallots and vinegar mixture, along with any additional seasoning if desired, and mix well.
Assemble the salad
- Finely chop or shave brussels sprouts into a large bowl. Thinly slice apples and add to brussels sprouts, reserving a few slices for garnish. Add toasted walnuts, once cooled, reserving a few pieces for garnish. Mix in dressing and stir until well combined.
- Garnish with remaining apples and walnuts and serve immediately.