Vegetable Gruyére Quiche with Quinoa Crust
Getting your veggies in never tasted so good
In the mood for a savory pastry chock-full of hearty Fair Trade veggies and an assortment of cheeses? This Vegetable Gruyére Quiche will be sure to impress your friends and family with both your cooking skills and rich appreciation for fun, Fair Trade flavors. A Rainbow Quinoa crust adds a unique texture and color to your dessert, making it not only a treat for your taste buds but also a delight to behold.
For the crust
- 1 cup Fair Trade Certified quinoa, cooked and cooled (use red or rainbow for some color)
- 1 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup very cold butter, cut in small pieces
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 3/4 cup onions
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Fair Trade Certified bell pepper, minced
- 3 cups spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole)
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (suggested: gruyére, Irish cheddar and/or smoked gouda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fair Trade Certified black pepper
Make the crust
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the salt and flour together. Add the butter pieces and cover them liberally with the flour, crumbling them with the tips of your fingers till the mixture reaches a bread crumb consistency. Drain and cool the cooked quinoa thoroughly and mix the quinoa in the flour gently forming a dough. Do not knead it. (NOTE—Do not use hot quinoa as it will melt the butter immediately)
- Flatten the dough in a greased 9 1/2 inch quiche pan right up the edges using your hands and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. The crust should be slightly set. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, and poke a few small holes on the bottom with a fork to prevent bubbling.
Make the filling
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium – high.
- Add the spinach, onions, garlic, peppers, thyme and a pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes or till it reduces to 1/3 the quantity. Leave aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, blend the milk, eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Carefully combine the spinach mixture to the blend and pour the filling into the crust when ready.
- Place it in the oven for 45 minutes. Check if the center is cooked and leave to cool for the crust to separate itself from the pan. Enjoy!