Vegetarian Roasted Beet Skewers with Curried Yogurt Dipping Sauce
An easy, savory appetizer that's sure to please vegetarians and meat-eaters alike
Looking for the perfect appetizer for your upcoming Holiday party? This stunning recipe comes to us from Frontier Co-op, a company committed to providing pure organic seasonings that taste great and promote a healthy planet. They source their spices from growers committed to quality, sustainability and ethical trade to positively impact communities around the world.
For the skewers
- 12 (4-inch) bamboo or metal skewers, or rosemary stems
- 6 medium beets, preferably of differing varieties, peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or substitute peanut oil)
- 2 teaspoons Frontier® Fair Trade organic cinnamon
- Frontier® sea salt and Frontier® Fair Trade organic cracked black pepper, to taste
For the dipping sauce
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ teaspoon Frontier® Fair Trade organic ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon Frontier® organic garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Frontier® Fair Trade organic turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon Frontier® organic Garam Masala (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Frontier® organic cayenne pepper (or to taste, optional)
- 2 ounces fresh juice from Fair Trade Certified lemon (roughly the juice from 1 lemon)
- 1½ cups plain yogurt
- Frontier® sea salt and Frontier® Fair Trade organic ground white pepper, to taste
- Soak the bamboo skewers or rosemary stems in water for 1 hour (unnecessary if using metal skewers).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using the rosemary stems, use a skewer to poke "pilot" holes through the sides of each wedge.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with the oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Place three beet wedges on each skewer or stem, and arrange in neat rows in a casserole dish. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, place the raisins and all the spices in a mortar and pestle or food processor and grind to a paste. Add the lemon juice, mix, and then add the yogurt. Mix thoroughly, taste and adjust for salt and white pepper.
- Remove the skewers from the oven and serve immediately with the sauce either in a bowl on the side or drizzled over top.