Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Nothing says "summer fun" quite like skewers on the grill. Change up your rotation with this south of the border-themed dish from chef Brett Cary. Fair Trade Certified™ shrimp are seared with a honey-lime glaze and smothered in garlic-chipotle butter. And with three Fair Trade Certified ingredients, the dish is as impactful as it is tasty. Delicious: check. Ethical: check. Makes good leftovers: you tell us - we never have any!
Recipe appears in: 6 Recipes for Making the Seafood Switch
- 24 Fair Trade Certified Del Pacifico Wild Caught Sustainable Shrimp
- 6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup Fair Trade Certified honey
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 Fair Trade Certified lime
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 2 dried or canned chipotle peppers, roasted with garlic
- 3 large garlic cloves, brushed with olive oil and roasted at 350 degrees until soft, about 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp juice from one Fair Trade Certified lemon
- 2 tsp sliced chives
Makes 6 skewers
- Heat grill to medium high. Clean and oil cooking surface.
- Thread each skewer with four shrimp close together on one end.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, chili flakes, Tabasco, and lime to make the honey-lime glaze. Salt to taste.
- In a food processor, blend lemon juice, roasted garlic, and chipotle peppers to form a smooth paste.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine soft butter and chives. Mix with a spoon until uniform, then combine with the roasted garlic mixture and mix until blended.
- Brush garlic-chipotle butter mixture on both sides of skewered shrimp. Grill 2-3 minutes per side until desired firmness is achieved.
- Remove shrimp from the grill, spoon/brush glaze over shrimp and serve immediately.