Celery Salad with Dates, Almonds, and Parmesan
An understated culinary staple made surprisingly delicious with the help of a few ingredients. This quick and easy appetizer combines Fair Trade Certified™ celery with sweet dates, crunchy almonds, and savory Parmesan cheese for a refreshing side salad suitable for seconds.
Interested to learn more about where fair trade veggies come from? Visit our partner Campos Borquez to learn more about their Fair Trade Certified celery.
Recipe appears in: Fair Trade Holiday Recipes
Photo: Bon Appétit
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 8 fair trade celery stalks, thinly sliced on a diagonal, leaves separated
- 6 dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz Parmesan, shaved
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread out almonds on a small rimmed baking sheet; toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
- Toss almonds, celery, celery leaves, dates, and lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add Parmesan and oil and toss gently; season with red pepper flakes.