Fair Trade USA™ is building an innovative model of responsible business, conscious consumerism, and shared value to eliminate poverty and enable sustainable development for farmers, workers, their families, and communities around the world.
Thousands of Products Improving Millions of Lives
Fair Trade Certified™ is an award-winning, rigorous, and globally recognized sustainable sourcing model that improves livelihoods, protects the environment, and builds resilient, transparent supply chains.
The Impact of Fair Trade Certification
- Farmers, workers and fishers are not guaranteed a minimum price or receive adequate compensation for their production; they are often not made aware of their rights or aren’t encouraged to provide feedback on improvements or needs.
- Less visibility into supply chains and lack of standards can result in exploitation of workers and the environment
- No extra income provided for community investments
- Guaranteed minimum price that acts as a safety net for coffee farmers and producers when the market prices are low
- Rigorous Fair Trade Certified standards ensure safe and healthy working conditions, the elimination of forced/child labor, fair and consistent compensation, and environmental protections and product traceability
- Producer communities receive additional compensation through Community Development Funds
What We Certify
Who We Partner With
Ricardo Crisantes, Co-Owner and CCO
“Fair trade is one of the most credible and effective certification models on the market that helps farmers improve their lives and develop their communities more sustainably. I’ve seen it’s powerful impact first hand on our family’s farms.”
Helen Russell, CEO
“Fair Trade Certified is an amazing initiative. What it does is it raises consciousness around what is possible when you use business as a force for good in the world. Any company that adopts the fair trade model is making a statement in terms of who they are and what their vision is. Consumers want ethically sourced products, and that’s what fair trade is all about. That’s why you see so many other companies buying fair trade products.”
Soren Bjorn, President
“We reached the conclusion that we would benefit from having an outside party look at what we were doing. For our customers and consumers, it wasn’t enough to tell them that we were doing a great job. We really needed a partner. We looked long and hard at who could help us and decided to go with Fair Trade USA. They became our partner in verifying and communicating that we are doing a great job throughout our supply chain.”
Hamdi Ulukaya, CEO
“Fair Trade USA’s certification — the first ever in the U.S. dairy industry — will help our dairy farmers build on their hard work to raise farming standards, take care of their workers, many of whom they consider family, ensure the well-being of their animals and their land, while giving consumers greater peace of mind that the dairy they buy demonstrates a commitment to positive economic, environmental, and social pillars.”
Resources & Articles
Learn about Certification
By partnering with us, you’ll be joining a diverse network of producers, companies, shoppers, and advocates who are committed to building a more equitable model of trade.